Partners EAP Four Seasons Graphic Partners Employee Assistance Program Top Banner
Work & Life Resources Webinars & Events About EAP & Services

  Print This PagePrint This Page

Temporary Protected Status (TPS) for Haitians in U.S.

Many of the Haitians who escaped Haiti after the earthquake last year and sought refuge in the U.S. were not able to legally stay in the U.S.  U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) announced that Haitians who came to the U.S. as a result of the earthquake will be eligible to apply for temporary protected status (TPS), allowing them to live and work legally in the U.S. for a fixed amount of time. They will also extend TPS another 18 months (until Jan. 22, 2013) for Haitians who were already in the U.S. at the time of the earthquake, and already approved for TPS. This protection for Haitians affected by the earthquake was about to expire in July 2011. 

TPS can be used by Homeland Security agency in cases of emergencies to allow people temporary safe haven in the U.S. until the U.S. government decides it is safe for them to return to their homeland.  People must apply and pay fees in exchange for permission to live and work in the U.S.

Previously, TPS applicants needed to show that they had continuously resided in the United States since Jan. 12, 2010. Under the new re-designation, eligible individuals who arrived up to one year after the earthquake in Haiti may now apply for TPS. Many of these individuals were authorized to enter the United States immediately after the earthquake on temporary visas, humanitarian parole and other measures. 

USCIS plans to post a Federal Register notice and provide additional guidance on:

  • How to register or re-register for TPS;
  • What individuals with pending TPS applications should do; and
  • When to begin filing TPS applications.

 Please visit the USCIS website at or call 1-800-375-5283 to obtain the latest information about filing for TPS and to learn more about the TPS application process.



For more information please contact Partners Employee Assistance Program at 1-866-724-4EAP.
In case of emergency, please call 911 or your local hospital emergency service.

This content was last modified on: 05/17/2011

Partners EAP is not a service for the general public.

In case of emergency, please call 911 or your local hospital emergency service.

Call Us: 1-866-724-4EAP