Partners EAP Four Seasons Graphic Partners Employee Assistance Program Top Banner
Work & Life Resources Webinars & Events About EAP & Services

  Print This PagePrint This Page

Steps When Applying for College


If you are looking to finance your child’s college education, his or her high school counselor is a good place to start. You should also contact the financial office of the college or university your child is interested in. Some colleges and workplaces offer seminars on paying for college.

If you are looking to fund your own education, your company’s human resources department may have an education and training component, which offers tuition reimbursement, scholarships or college funding seminars. You can search for national scholarships at your local library or via the internet.

Many websites offer free scholarship searches and information on college planning such as Finaid and Financial Aid Toolkit  . 

College for Adults offers valuable information on college planning and financing.  

College Advice From A High School Counselor featured article from Here & Now.

The Application Process
Apply for as many scholarship funds as possible to increase your chances. Prepare your scholarship applications early – don’t wait to the last minute to ask for references, apply for transcripts, and write essays. Have someone review your essays. Ask for recommendation letters from administrators, teachers, counselors, ministers, or employers, not family members. Keep a calendar of deadline dates and document your submissions. 

Applying for Financial Aid: Federal Financial Aid and Student Loans
Most full-time college students receive some sort of financial aid outside of family support. There are a variety of financial aid resources available.

All students must fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), and turn it in as soon after the first of the year as possible because some aid is supplied on a first-come, first-served basis. The FAFSA is available online.  The U.S. Department of Education will send out a Student Aid Report (SAR) that details your Expected Family Contribution. The SAR is used to determine what level of assistance you will receive from your chosen college or university.

Useful college prep checklist


For more information or to discuss financial concerns please contact Partners Employee Assistance Program at 1-866-724-4EAP.

In case of emergency, please call 911 or your local hospital emergency service.


This content was last modified on: 04/28/2017

Partners EAP is not a service for the general public.

In case of emergency, please call 911 or your local hospital emergency service.

Call Us: 1-866-724-4EAP